Mid Program Review and Evaluation - Aged Care Workforce Initiatives
Project Type - Workforce planning
Health Outcomes International (HOI) was engaged to undertake the evaluation of the Aged Care Workforce Initiatives.
The objectives of the project were to:
- design a review and evaluation program for the Australian Government Aged Care Workforce Initiatives, inclusive of existing projects and pilots being conducted under the Initiatives, (noting the above)
- conduct the review and evaluation and provide a detailed report on the outcomes of the evaluation;
- design, in consultation with the Department of Health and Ageing, appropriate selection processes for the future administration of the Australian Government Aged Care Nursing Scholarship Scheme; and
- participate in the selection processes for the future administration of the Australian Government Aged Care Nursing Scholarship Scheme.
Within this context, the evaluation addressed the key evaluation components of:
- Appropriateness – were the original objectives of the Initiative appropriate and do they remain so?
- Effectiveness – How effective has the Initiative been in achieving its specific objective and also how effective has it been in contributing towards the Government’s broader objective of enhancing quality of life for older Australians?
- How efficient has the Initiative been in achieving the desired outcomes?
Key methodological approaches included:
- identifying a basic evaluation framework and preliminary sets of questions to be applied in the mid-term review
- a document review to inform the specifications for ongoing interim reports, feedback and internally conducted evaluations to be adopted by the Department in the ongoing roll out of the National Aged Care Workforce Initiatives and any future responsibilities for the Australian Government under a National Aged Care Workforce Strategy
- a comprehensive and multi-faceted consultation approach was adopted that sought to gather information and address the key questions of the evaluation via the following mediums:
- telephone based interviews, written response schedules and follow-up interviews with representatives from the funded projects and pilots
- telephone based interviews with participants of the respective pilots
- face to face consultations, telephone based interviews and written response schedules and follow-up interviews with other stakeholders including Federal and State/Territory Governments, peak bodies and professional organisations concerning aspects of the National Aged Care Workforce Initiatives.
- based on the information contained in the documentation and the data gathered through the consultations, analysis of key performance indicators was undertaken by the review team.
The outcomes of the consultations, surveys and document reviews were aggregated and considered by the evaluation team in their totality. Common themes were identified, and in some instances validated with follow-up calls or further discussions with the Department or funded agency. The findings of the evaluation were documented into an interim report which was submitted to the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. The Department reviewed the report, met with the evaluation team and provided other comments which were considered and incorporated where appropriate into the first volume of the evaluation report.