Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Workforce Competencies Project
Project Type - Mental health, Workforce planning
Health Outcomes International was engaged by the Department of Health Victoria to develop a workforce competency model, populated with agreed competencies that can be implemented in Victoria’s government funded specialist alcohol and drug and mental health programs. Specifically the project will:
- Draw on key policy documents and drivers, the available literature and key stakeholder perspectives to develop a logic-based competency model.
- Collaborate with consumers and carers to ensure their input is well integrated in the competencies.
- Undertake targeted consultations across Victoria’s MH and AOD service providers in order to test and validate the viability and acceptability of the model within the three sectors.
- Populate the model with competencies
- Test and validate the resultant competencies against an underlying logic map with stakeholders from the three sectors.
- Develop implementation advice for the department to support the embedding of the competencies in service delivery practices, organisational processes and capacity building activities for each of the three sectors.
- Develop tools and resources to support implementation, tailored as required to the needs of each of the three sectors.
- Develop a set of indicators to support monitoring of the extent and outcome of implementation of a competency based model tailored as required to the needs of each of the three sectors.
The key tasks that have or are being undertaken are:
· Compiling background information and research to inform the architecture for the competency model and the key issues to be considered when proceeding with the remainder of the assignment (e.g. population of the competency model, the development of competencies and the development of implementation resources).
· Extensive stakeholder consultation
- preliminary telephone consultations were held to inform the architecture for the competency model
- workshops with internal stakeholders and consumers/carers to explain the processes undertaken and the key drivers (new directions, link between outcomes and competencies) for the project.
- Workshops with external stakeholders explaining the processes undertaken and the key drivers (new directions, link between outcomes and competencies) for the project
· Preparation of the Competency Model Blueprint
· Populate the model developed by drawing on existing competencies where possible and relevant, and by developing new competencies in consultation with identified and agreed thought-leaders in the relevant programs or sectors
· Develop and deliver the tools and resources required to embed the competencies into service delivery and clinical practice. They will be created and tested with relevant stakeholders using a combination of face to face and online interaction.