Evaluation of the Victorian Dual Disability Service Enhanced Regional Response Service
Project Type - Disability
Health Outcomes International (HOI) was engaged by the Department of Human Services (the Department) to undertake an evaluation of the Victorian Dual Disability Enhanced Regional Service Response (VDDS ERSR).
The three major evaluation objectives were to:
- determine the effectiveness of the model
- identify elements that could be transferable to other regional areas
- inform the ongoing partnership arrangements.
The Victorian Dual Disability Service (VDDS) Enhanced Regional Service Response (ERSR) commenced in July 2006 and is a three-year collaborative project jointly funded by the Victorian Department of Human Services (DHS), Disability Services Division (DSD) and Mental Health and Drugs Division (MHDD) and managed by the VDDS. The initiative involves a partnered approach between DSD and the MHDD to provide an effective service response for adults with an intellectual disability residing in the North and West Metropolitan region (NWMR) who have been diagnosed or have a suspected mental illness.
The key methodological components included the following:
- an analysis of the development, implementation and achievement of the VDDS ERSR including:
- a review of the documentation
- initial stakeholder consultations and
- the preparation of an ethics submission
- based on the environmental analysis, a detailed evaluation framework was developed to guide the data collection, survey, consultation and case study analysis activities
- extensive data analysis was undertaken which included:
- data extracted from the RAPID system and from client records
- a telephone survey of paid carers and relevant service providers was also undertaken
- HOI adopted a case study technique to gain a comprehensive understanding of the VDDS ERSR scope, structure and operations. This included:
- the conduct of a range of stakeholder consultations to gain a clear understanding of those factors that have contributed to, or acted as barriers to the achievement of the goals and objectives of the model
HOI produced a comprehensive and evidence based final report identifying:
- evaluation findings in respect of the major components of the model:
- mentoring and training
- data collection
- reporting and governance and partnerships
- key findings from the evaluation of the VDDS ERSR pilot project and proposed options for the delivery of an appropriate, sustainable and affordable model across Victoria.